Thursday, December 24, 2015

And A Merry Christmas To All

Here we are in the happiest time of the year, and as usual, I'm finding myself saying "how did Christmas get here so fast?".  Do you do that too?  Well, today is the day that I can finally relax and enjoy the day.  I plan to bake cookies and make a couple of dishes to take to our family Christmas celebration tomorrow.  But I thought I'd start by posting a short blog.

Do you have a favorite Christmas memory?  Or a gift that you remember so well that you received as a child?  I have one in particular.  It's a sewing basket.  I realized early on - maybe at about 8 years old - that I loved to sew.  I started with tiny patterns to make clothes for my Barbies.  My mom knew that my interest in sewing was not going away, so for Christmas when I was 10 she bought a sewing basket for me.
Christmas, 1968
I loved this gift.  I could have my own supplies and keep them in a special place.  And I used it.  And used it and used it.  Now, many years later, I still have this sewing basket.
There it is, displayed in the craft room.  It's missing a foot, the lining is a bit torn, and the rattan is coming apart in a couple of places, but it's still cute and usable.  Now, that's a special gift.
Looks good for 47 years old!
Here's one more cute, nostalgic picture taken many, many years ago. It looks like it's Christmas in 1964.  Pictured are my brothers, John and Jim, and my sister, Sheila and me.  Love this picture.
So I hope that you have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and blessed New Year.  And I hope that some beautiful memories are made for you.  I'll leave you with a photo of our Christmas tree in all its splendor.


5 comments:

  1. The most precious toy a young stitcher can get, see how it got used and loved over the years, wonderful memories. Merry Christmas:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet memories. I no longer have it, but remember the small weaving loom my Aunt gave me one year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely photos and special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got caught up on your posts! Such nice Christmas memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes now I'm Candy Marie on Google...you know why!

    ReplyDelete