Monday, January 2, 2017

Year End Wrap-Up And New Years Plans

Looking back at 2016, I think it was a pretty good year for crafting. I managed to post a Pinterest-inspired crafting post each month and made some pretty cool things. I wasn't as busy a stitcher during the year however. The wedding piece was completed, as were the four squares I pledged to do for the Rainbows For Peace and Comfort group on Facebook. But that's it. No other stitching completions.

So this year I plan to do things a little differently stitching-wise. I pronounce this as the Year of the WIP! I'm going to identify and yes, even unearth, all of my stitching works-in-progress and put them into some kind of rotation. I will put more thought into this and update you soon.

As I said, I'm happy that the squares for the Rainbows group are finished! I'm going to get them packed up and into the mail this week.
As soon as those were finished, I picked up my Kaleidoscope and continued working on that.
I like this chart so much. The designer is Sheena Rogers and it's meant to be completed as a little cushion. The chart has a lot of different colors so artfully blended, and that's what makes it so pretty. And happy. This will be one of the projects in my rotation.

Other People's Creations alert!! We had a wonderful Christmas. Our son, Matt, and his wife, Steph, came to visit us for about 10 days. It was so nice to just hang out with them. Steph is a talented knitter and worked on two projects while they were here. She also knitted me a pair of socks for Christmas!
She made these! For me! Just look at how beautifully made these are.
The color is gorgeous, and they're so soft. As I always say, we crafters/stitchers/knitters/quilters, etc. know how much love and work go into projects, and we are especially appreciative of the special-ness of a handmade gift. I just love these!

Back to 2017 planning. I've come to the realization that my craft room has gotten a little out of control. I need to get better organized and get rid of stuff I don't use. Do I really need that serger that I bought used and only worked for about 5 minutes? What about the miscellaneous junk that I never use? Yes, it's time to tidy up.
Really, does this look like a good way to store ribbon? No. No, it's not.
Above is a photo of my "inbox" which is a shallow basket where I put stuff before I put it in the place where it needs to go. Did that make sense? Looks like that would be a good place to start. I've been watching "craft room tours" videos on Youtube for organization ideas. There are a lot of them, and even though most of them are geared toward paper crafters, I'm getting helpful ideas for organizing my necessities. Plus, they are pretty fun to watch.

Other than that, I do plan to continue my Pinterest quests because they have been enjoyable and educational, craftwise.

So check back from time to time. I think this is going to be a good crafty and stitchy year!

6 comments:

  1. Cathy, good luck with your 2017 goals, I am always on an endless quest to be organised - some years I do better than others. Hey, if you are working on WIPs this year, maybe you would like to join Measi's WIPocalypse - a fun SAL to work on those WIPs - http://measi.net/measiblog/2017/01/01/january-2017-wipocalypse-happy-new-year/ hugs, Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rainbow finishes are so pretty! Good luck with your rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful socks! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're having a massive tidy up - sorting out the craft room and finishing WIPS! Good luck with both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas for getting organised and finishing off those WIPs.... I haven't made plans yet for my 2017 sewing but I think it may well include some WIPs too! Looking forward to watching your progress and sharing more blog friendship Cathy.... have a very happy new year 2017!! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Rainbow squares are all so pretty.
    And the socks are gorgeous.
    Good luck with your WIPS and craft organization, I've been doing that also. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete